Saturday, October 5, 2013

First Week Working From Home: Efficiencies & Deficiencies

First Week Working From Home: Efficiencies & Deficiencies


These are probably obvious efficiencies and deficiencies, but they are worth note as they were the most impactful my first week.

Efficiencies

Zero Commute

I thought I was spoiled with a 10 minute commute with no traffic at SpaceX.  Man, oh man, coffee table to desk is as good as it gets.  This is huge when having to switching between "office guy" and "home guy" when something needs attention.

No Walk-By, BTW Distractions

The passer-by "oh, btw, how do I do this or that" office walk-by distractions are non-existent.  At SpaceX, in our fast-paced working environment, this happened a few times a day and added up to a considerable time suck from what was scheduled.  Don't get me wrong, these still add value, but they could probably be more efficiently delivered.

The Right Tool For The Job

Fully owning one's working environment, means one can customize the tool for the job.  Having the freedoms of customizing desk space, monitors, towers, laptops, plants, and even music playing over speakers as opposed to headphones are all "the little things" that aggregate into impactful differences.  My workspace is peaceful and productive.  I love it.

Deficiencies

Family at Home Distractions

My wife, brother, dog, and cat all work from home.  While they have been very respectful of my space and time while working this first week, it is also very tempting for either of us to engage the other with something small here or there.  Since I am the impostor, invading the space in which they have become accustomed to working, I am patiently seeing how this plays out.  Weeks like this past one, my first, had minimal external distractions and should be well within reason going forward.  Because the distraction risk is there, though, I have my eye on a couple local co-working locations.  Namely Coloft, NextSpace LA, and Launch Co-Work.

A Cuddling Companion and a Playful Furry Friend

Pets are awesome and they know how to irresistibly ask for your attention.  I'm fairly good at this compromise when I can afford it.  Because cute cat pictures are good for productivity, this distraction could be a net positive.

Home Office v. House Guest

Having a home office near the common areas means a little co-host responsibility is required.  Ideally, I can create an isolated fortress of working solitude to stay focused when in the zone.  Efficiently spending time is key to "making more time in the day".



These were my big takeaways from my first week working from home at a distributed startup company, MerlinCryption.

For more takeaways of my first experiences jumping from 8 years of corporate life to scrappy, entrepreneurial, startup life, subscribe to my blog, follow me on Twitter, or circle me on Google+.

Have Fun While Working Hard.

 - Graeham

No comments:

Post a Comment